If you have ever tried to lose weight you probably have tried different diets only to have moderate success if any at all. Or maybe you lost some weight, but failed to keep it off.
What works best? Low-fat & high-carb? High-protein? High-fat & low-carb? Juice diets? Fasting? The possibilities are endless.
I will let you in on a dirty little secret that none of the “experts” want you to know. Are you ready? The number one most important factor in losing weight and changing your body composition is burning more calories than you take in.
There is absolutely no reason to starve yourself to reach your goals. To lose one (1) pound you must burn 3,500 calories more than you consume. If you set a goal to lose 10 lbs in 10 weeks you have to burn 35,000 more calories over that timeframe than you ate. This is equivalent to burning 500 more calories a day than you ate.
Well that is great and all, but how do I burn enough calories? This is where proper food choices and efficient exercise matter. The higher the amount of calories you take in the more activity you need. So when mealtime rolls around you need to make smart choices. For example, a blueberry muffin could cost you 300 calories. Yet, four eggs is only 240 calories. What is going to do a better job of filling you up? The eggs will give you 24 grams of protein while the muffin may have 7 grams. Protein is power. Protein is essential for building and repairing muscle. The more muscle mass a person has in relation to body fat the more calories they can burn.
Below are some tips to burn more calories.
1. Replace sugary drinks like soda or juice with water. Add lemon or lime to flavor the water if you want.
2. Go for a walk. Instead of plopping down on the couch when you get home from work go walk around town for some easy exercise. Walking 1 mile can easily burn 100 calories while strengthening your knees, heart, and lungs.
3. Take the stairs instead of the elevator when possible. It takes zero effort to push a button, but walking up the stairs will improve your health.
4. Lift something. Resistance training is the single fastest way to change your body shape. Building muscle to fight fat.
5. Eat your green veggies. By eating broccoli, spinach, celery, or lettuce at the beginning of your meal you will reduce your hunger and eat SMARTER.
6. Eat protein at every meal. Eggs, chicken, fish, beef, turkey, and Greek yogurt are good sources.
7. Eat 5 or 6 smaller meals a day to reduce cravings and stay on track.
Remember the sooner you decide to improve your life the sooner you will achieve your goals.